Annual Essay Contest — $1000 Scholarship
Calling all central Albertan high school graduates attending a university or college this year!
Submit a 1000-1500 word essay on “Why are Unions Important to our Community?” for your opportunity to win the Red Deer and District Labour Council Essay contest.
Deadline: September 30, 2017
$1000 Scholarship for the winning essay.
- Choose one union that you know of or one you are familiar with.
- Discuss how that union came about (i.e. was chartered in 19XX, etc), who the union represents (i.e. postal workers) and how the workers have benefitted from being unionized (i.e. wages, benefits, pension).
- Discuss how workers having those benefits have contributed to the well being of the community where the union is located and the community where the workers live.
To be eligible the applicant must:
- Be a grade 12 graduate of a Central Alberta High School.
- Be a full time student attending a post-secondary institution.
- Provice confrimation of registration in post-secondary degree or diploma program ata recognized university or community collge.
- Provide a copy of the statement from the institution indicating course for each semester and a copy of the class schedule.
- Provide a copy of the receipt indicating payment of tuition.
Essay Submission Deadline: September 30, 2017
Notification of Winner: December 31, 2017
Scholarship Presentation: January 2, 2018.
Please submit essays to email@example.com or #1012, 4730A — 50 Street, Red Deer, Alberta T4N 1X2.